Thursday, 7 January 2010

With the recent loss of my dearly beloved (and newly crashed) car, I've been harshly reunited with Bay Area public transit. This new development has been quite interesting as for the past two years I've mostly lugged myself from point A to point B via bridges and highways and through my own whims. Now though, I've been reminded of the extra time I'll need to take and the cash I'll need to spend to take BART or MUNI or a Ferry to the north bay. It isn't that a car is cheaper, quite the contrary, actually. It is that with cars everything is paid on card and you don't have to see the cash slowly melting out of your wallet like sugar in the rain.

Walking works. I've actually enjoyed walking more. What doesn't work is trying to walk to the North Bay (though possible) or East Bay (seemingly impossible).

I could take up my bike and use that to traverse around the city again. I could. The only problem with this is that the dark cold air of winter mornings and evenings stings with the feeling that maybe I should just stay inside, cuddle up beside the heater, and read a book. In the spring, summer, and autumn months I have no problem biking myself from spot to spot. As a matter of fact, I quite enjoy the feel of the wind on my face and my legs pumping the peddles up a hill. It is the dark that I hate to bike in. The loss of my car really came at the worse time. Adventures become longer (and not in the fun way), cash becomes shorter, and everything seems to end at midnight.

At least I can read a book on public transit.

Location: Bay Area, CA, U.S.A.

No comments: