Saturday, 31 October 2009

Adventuring

I like lens flair!

I often find that the only logical solution to a problem is to go on an adventure. I don't know a city: I'll go on an adventure. I can't figure out the solution to that math problem: I'll go on an adventure. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of my life: Again, I'll go on an adventure. Today the adventure was to solve the following problem: Where did my inspiration go?

Adventures can come in many forms: solo, communal, or in pairs. They can take place pretty much anywhere as long as one is actually looking and absorbing the experience. You better be using at least one of your five senses. I usually use Adventuring as a time to think.

In trying to re-boost my inspirational energy, a friend and I went on an adventure through the Presidio.

The path down through the trees was steep and the roots twisted up through the sand as we stepped and slid down the cliff face leading us towards Baker Beach. Though I knew that there were supposed to be stairs, we couldn't find them at first and I didn't want to admit that I couldn't see them anywhere.

When we finally saw the steps, they seemed to fall right off of the cliff. Without railings, the steps became the frightening beginning of a quest. I was glad that it wasn't raining. The view looked out over the Pacific, the sky was blue, and there was a nude beach below us. The stairs snaked down and then up through the trees and brush.

Bud: You know what is fun about climbing up stairs?
Me: What?
Bud: NOTHING!

Cement bunkers littered the cliffs and gravel rolled down the hills. The gravel mostly ended up in my shoes. The bunkers were tall and sprayed in parts with graffiti. There were thick cracks in the buildings like earthquake reminders.

Below the bunkers there were locked doors.

Here are a few visual products of my quest for inspiration:







Location: The Presidio, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.

No comments: