Thursday, 29 October 2009

Dimond Park Cleanup

There is something empowering about waking up, getting dressed, walking to my car, and driving out of a thick wall of fog that fills me with an unwarranted sense of achievement.

Though I can barely see across the road, let alone out my car windows, I know that I soon will be able to clearly see street lights and people walking with their briefcases in hand. I will see joggers and dog walkers. I will drive through San Francisco heading east over the bridge to Oakland and into the bright sunshine. Bright doesn't always mean warm, but the brisk air is clear and void of fog.

Dimond Park (spelled without an "a") is located just past Lake Merrit when one exits the I-580 at the Fruitvale exit. At this park on an early morning, I meet with 100+ others to spend "Make A Difference Day" working to clear up the invasive plants and leave room for the natural habitat around Sausal Creek to rebuild itself. Together with many high school students, the staff of buildOn, and members of The Friends of Sausal Creek, I snipped away at invasive blackberries and ivy, helped load it into piles, and saw the difference that a committed well minded group can make.


On a free weekend, I think you should do the same. Join a nature conservatory group. Go work at a soup kitchen. Help re build a house. Talk to the elderly. Be productive and you will be happy. You will know that you've made even the smallest of differences.

Location: Dimond Park, Oakland, CA, U.S.A.

No comments: